As you can imagine this was quite difficult, especially for someone like me who takes twelve minutes to say hello.
This shortened presentation was a blessing however, because it forced us (Missionaries) to share the burden God has placed upon our hearts in a direct way.
You see it’s very common for Missionaries to share things that focus peoples minds on the spiritual need.
- Things like their personal testimony
- Stories from the mission field
- Pictures of people they have ministered to
- Facts about the need of people in that Country
- Or history and culture of that mission field
These things aren’t bad at all…in fact they make the ministry presentation more powerful. But I find myself sometimes focusing so much on the testimonies, stories, pictures, or history that little time is spend on the actual spiritual need.
Which is why every once in a while it’s a good thing to just let God do the work.
- No jokes
- No stories from the mission field
- No testimony of how God led you there
- No pictures of you doing ministry
- Just play a nine minute video of what the Lord is doing in Melbourne, thank the people, and sit down
Because in the end it isn’t all of that extra stuff that lays a burden on individuals hearts, but the spiritual need.
Oh that doesn’t mean Missionaries shouldn’t enjoy spending a half-hour presenting their ministry. But maybe the best thing we can do sometimes is just sit down, and let God do the work.